Archive for Glossary of Terms

What are press-ready files?

Press-ready file requirements:

  • File dimensions match the order
  • Artwork has a 1/8″ bleed and important content is within the safety zone which is 1/8″ inside the trim marks
  • Artwork is in CMYK color mode. If not, colors may change when they are converted to CMYK for printing
  • Resolution is 300 dpi or higher
  • Fonts are embedded when creating the pdf
  • All crop or template marks that you don’t want to print on your final image have been removed from the file
  • The number of pages in your pdf should match the number of pages specified in your order
  • Don’t forget to proofread. We do not check your file for grammar, spelling, or content accuracy.

What does C2S mean?

C2S means that the paper is coated on two sides.

What is the difference between Matte Coating and UV Coating?

Matte is a flat satin finish that doesn’t show fingerprints and makes colors appear more vibrant. UV Coating can be reflective and glossy and has a high solids level that allows the coating to be applied in very thin films.

What is Offset Printing?

An indirect printing process where the ink is first transferred from the image to the cylinder covering of the printing machine and then to the paper or cardstock.

What is CMYK?

CMYK stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. These are the four ink colors used in the the printing process to create color prints.

What is Grayscale?

Grayscale is a range of shades of gray that don’t have apparent color. The darkest shade on this scale is black and the lightest is white.

What is Prepress?

Prepress refers to all the things that need to happen before a job can actually be printed.

What is CASS Certification?

CASS is short for Coding Accuracy Support System. This is a process that reviews address-matching software to help ensure high address accuracy. Address quality of direct mailings affects the ability of the USPS to deliver and therefore affects the cost of your direct mailing campaign. 

What is Scoring?

Scoring is the process of creating a line so that the paper or card can be easily folded.

What is Book Weight?

Bookweight, otherwise known as 100 lb glossy paper or text weight, is thinner paper than our cardstock and is commonly used for flyers and brochures.

What is Die Cutting?

Die cutting is a method using sharp steel stamps or rollers to cut shapes and designs into the paper or other material.

What are Trim Marks?

These are the marks placed on the paper to show where the document will be cut.

What is Card Stock?

Card stock is thick sturdy paper. We use 14 pt.

What is Safety Zone?

The safety zone is an imaginary line inside the document from the edge of the document size (1/8 inch which is 0.125 inch). Safety Zone can contain pictures, but should not contain text. Extending graphics to the Safety zone will prevent an unintentional white border around the edge of your printed piece.

What is Bleed?

Printers cannot print right to the edge of a sheet of paper. To create that effect, the printer must use a sheet which is larger than the document size. The printer prints beyond the edge of the document size (1/16 inch which is 0.0625 inch), then cuts the paper down to the document size. No text should go beyond the recommended safety, or it may be cut off while the printed piece is being cut to size.

Most jobs we print require a 1/16” bleed over each edge. If your job requires die-cutting or is a booklet, a 1/8” bleed is required.

What is Will Call?

Will call is a term that means “pick-up from a specific location.” Instead of having them delivered by mail, customers can pick up their prints from our print facilities in Torrance, CA, and Saddle Brook, NJ. This option is free. You can select this option on the checkout page in the “Select Shipping Method” drop down.

What is DPI?

DPI stands for dots per inch. The more dots per square inch the better the quality of image and text.  For best output, please submit your files at 300 dpi.